Back to News
Sometimes simple tasks turn out to be…well, not so simple at first glance. Many people are daunted by DIY projects that involve electricity, when really it’s a quick, easy fix as long as safety protocol is followed. One of the most popular electrical DIYs people want to do are change those ugly, out-dated outlets to something that matches their decor. And the best news–it’s fast, super easy, and doesn’t require many materials!
Check out the DIY video we made below, or read on for a written tutorial.
1. Make sure you cut the power source off to avoid getting electricuted.
2. Unscrew the screws securing the outlet plate to the wall and remove the plate.
3. Unscrew the receptacle from the electrical box.
4. Remove the wires from the outlet by unscrewing the screws securing the wires on the side. The wire strippers or cutters may come in handy here.
5. Grab the new receptacle and attach the wires to the new one. Again, you may use the wire strippers to bend the wires around the screws, and the screwdriver to secure the screws in place.
6. Secure the new outlet back into the electrical box using the new screws and screwdriver.
7. Attach the new outlet plate with screwdriver and new screws.
And…tah-dah! Your new outlet is ready to go!